So much has happened between when we left Chicago and now that I can hardly believe it’s only been a few days. I set foot off the plane and I was going full speed ahead into the new school year.

The first night we were here, we all went out to Baron of Beef for dinner and got our first taste of pub life in Cambridge. Granted, it’s not nearly as busy since students aren’t back in school yet at Cambridge University, but it was an interesting experience. They played  American music in the pub that dates back a few years, which was kind of funny. A helpful hint: if you don’t know what to order, ask the bartender for a suggestion. They know what kinds of things they have and can usually give you some good choices.

Today was the first day of classes and now everything is getting into full swing. We had our first round of house chores today (ugh) and I think we’ve all got a better idea of what living in the house is going to be like for the next four months.

What has struck me the most in the past few days is the amount of history that there is overseas. In America, our history, while wildly fascinating, is pretty short. In England, there’s over a thousand years of history. The town of Cambridge is home to a hill created by the Normans in 1066, and an Apple store in the mall. You can visit a hundred-year-old chapel, or go out to the club. It’s amazing how much history is in one place, and how everything just coexists with one another.

The past few days have felt like such a whirlwind of activity that I haven’t truly had time to sit down and comprehend the fact that I am so far away from home, and living in another country. It doesn’t seem possible. Since the moment we set foot in England, we seamlessly moved into the new routines and way of life in the city. We hit the ground running from the very beginning. And that’s a good thing. It made me feel much more at home, and ready to explore the new place I live in.

Group (minus 2) at Chicago O'Hare

Group (minus 2) at Chicago O’Hare

Bridge over the River Cam

Bridge over the River Cam