For the past few weeks, I have been working with first and second graders at my internship to help with reading and grammar. Last week, I enjoyed spending time with the older kids, grade six and seven, to help with math work. I still truly like to work with younger students, but I have also been thrilled giving assistance to older students. It’s been a lot of fun getting to know them and getting good feedback from them on homework that we worked on in previous sessions. One of the girls I helped, Brumelda, has become a buddy of mine. After the first time helping her with work, she’s come to me for other help ever since. This was a neat moment for me because I was worried that I might not be as useful to the students as I would like, but I’m more confident now in helping them. It’s very satisfying to me when I see them to start understanding the work and have students approach me for help. I try to be extra positive and enthusiastic with the students because they might not get that at school, according to my supervisor. Brumelda noticed this and, at first, I thought she might have found it a bit annoying, but she ended up writing a story for school about a day when her life changed and she wrote about meeting me! I think she picked it mostly because she was struggling to chose a topic, but it was awesome that she even thought about me for that. As far as interning goes, it has been a great week and was followed by a fun weekend.

On Saturday night, we celebrated the first birthday in our house. We had fun going to a sky bar at the top of the Hilton Hotel in town and then made our way to other parts of town. It’s always fun to try new places around Windhoek and everyone had a great time. Following our evening, we decided to go out for brunch on Sunday morning. It did not go as planned, though. The restaurant we selected only got one of eleven orders correct. For example, two friends got Eggs Benedict, but they gave them a piece of stale bread, ham,  and boiled eggs slathered with a frighteningly large amount of mayo. Some of us were a little frustrated, but the group of us have such good attitudes, we were all laughing about it an hour later. I can’t wait to see what lies ahead this week as we travel to the northern part of the country.