Today is the two week anniversary of my arrival in Cambridge, and I can’t believe how quickly time has flown! I find myself getting busier and busier all the time, which has been a great help since this is the kind of lifestyle that I’m used to while being at Valpo. With the start of classes, field trips, common meals, and weekly Tuesday excursions, there is never a lack of things to do.

Classes in Cambridge are definitely different than what I am used to, but in a good way. Our program director, Mark Farmer, teaches our Mythology and English Life and Culture classes, while we have three very different and unique British professors for Theology, Art, and History. Mythology is surprisingly interesting, and I find myself picking up the stories and characters very easily. Our English Life and Culture class consists of our group discussing how we adapt to living in a new country, and we also pick a new place around town to experience every week. We weren’t able to go anywhere this week due to the weather, but next Tuesday we are going punting along the River Cam. For those of you who don’t know what it is, punting is what you typically see in the movies in places like Italy, with a punter rowing the boat along a river, while you get the great opportunity to check out the view. We have also had the chance to check out a lot of great art museums through our Art class, and our professor is a riot. Our Theology professor is actually a Reverend in the church next to our house, and one of the kindest people I’ve ever met. Mike Murphy, our History teacher, is an absolute riot. He has opened my mind to a lot of opinions that the Brits share about the United States and vice versa.  I’m sure by the end of the semester I will have a wide range of cultural opinions.

We also had our first student cooked common meal last night, and I must say, it was delicious! Every Wednesday, one or two of the students in the group pick out what to cook for a huge meal, while the rest of us help to clean up and prepare as well. We had a Mexican theme, and it was delicious! Everyone had a great time, and our group grows closer all the time. Speaking of food, we came across a very interesting find last weekend. The closest comparison I can make is the equivalent of “the Jimmy John’s / El Amigo” of Cambridge, but here, it’s in the form of a giant trailer in the middle of the city center.. appropriately called “The Trailer of Life.” it has definitely become a staple of our weekends. Off to the Lake District for the weekend — lots of hiking and sore muscles to follow!

Cheers!

Julie

heaven in the form of a trailer