Valpo Voyager

Student Stories from Around the World

Sometimes I Wonder….

When abroad, you ask yourself questions-a lot of them. Sometimes, these never-ending questions/thoughts leave you with a headache or absolutely thrilled. It’s easy to brush away them away. However, being honest and acknowleding these questions/thoughts has strengthened my purpose here and who I am as a person.

Sometimes I wonder…

• Why did I choose Mexico?
  • How could I not feel like a million bucks when I have a conversation in Spanish and we understand each other!
  • Why are three out of my four classes in Spanish? Good Lord, they speak so fast!
  • Is there anything tastier than a taco from Mexico anytime of the day?
  • Why is there no Ben and Jerry’s ice cream in Mexico?!!

• How exciting is it to meet a handsome Mexican boy who is a gentleman, a skillful dancer and wants to show you his country and get to know you?
  • Why isn’t there more money?
  • How can Mexican families stay strong despite a modern world? The strength and unity of the family is everything here.
  • How could you not be happy in a place where there’s so much color and natural beauty?
  • Isn’t thrilling knowing I’m living in an area where the Aztecs once ruled? It gives me chills sometimes.

• Are you just rude or do you not understand the fact that I am foreign and struggle with your language? Please talk slower like I asked you.
  • Isn’t the Church of Remedios in Cholula just the most beautiful church ever? I could never stop looking at it.
  • Do you judge me by my white skin and blonde hair? Not all gringas (girls from the USA) are the same.
  • Is there anything cooler than celebrating 200 years of Mexico than in the heart of soul of the country, Mexico City?
  • How much more alive can I feel when I’m salsa dancing?

• Isn’t beautiful to wake up surrounded by mountains EVERYWHERE?
  • What will it be like when I get to the USA? Will it will be weird and awkward?
  • My parents must be pretty cool to let their only daughter study abroad for four and a half months to another country.
  • Why are people so narrow-minded about Mexico? Seriously, it’s a rich culture and there’s more than the negative stereotypes.
  • How can Mexicans be so relaxed and not make exact plans with everything? It’s refreshing for sure, but geez, I don’t get it sometimes!
  • Mexicans are just about the best people to hang out with and very loyal too.

• How did God bless me with this incredible life? A life that I can get to fulfill my dreams of traveling, living in beautiful cultures with people that love and support me. Yes, I love this life!

What are YOUR thoughts/ questions? Post them!

6 Comments

1. But why is all the rum gone?!?!

But seriously, excellent questions! Some with no answers…but excellent nonetheless!

2. I often ask myself question number one. And then I always ask, “why didn’t I learn ANY of the language before coming!?” and then I go back to, “why the hell did I choose Germany?”

And then I want to go to Mexico, because at least there I could sort of get by with my muddled Spanish. Alas, it’s been good. : ) I have been challenged and I am learning and I have angry moments but overall I’ve slightly fallen in love with Germany.

You ask some great questions. MUAH

3. Hi Lydia

I was going to move to Guadalajara last month but the American media has started portraying Mexico as a war zone. Where are you staying? How safe is it?

B2.0

4. @Erin: hahahahaha…yes, excellent question! 😉 Thank you and you’re right, sometimes there are no answers. It’s frustrating not knowing the answers but somewhere I’m learning to be more content not knowing the answers to some of these questions.

@Megan: Glad you like the post and I love your thoughts. I think you made the right choice by going to Germany and you never know when I return to Mexico, you’ll just have to come with me and we’ll have our Mexican adventure!

@Hey! What is your name? That is so exciting you want to move to Mexico! While there are areas of Mexico you want to be careful and take precaution (just like in the U.S.), I’m currently living in Cholula, Puebla about 2 hours south from Mexico City and I feel very safe here. Although the university I live in is very safe, I’ve walked through the city of Choula by myself and have felt very safe. I’m going to be honest, I get sick and tired of seeing/hearing a negative stereotype of Mexico in the media. It can be safe-just be smart and safe and open-minded. If you have any more questions, you are more than welcome to ask at mertz08@hotmail.com. Take care and hope to talk soon!

5. I’m so excited about moving to Cholula! I’m actually going to be in Cholula next week to see where I’m going to be staying, and I can hardly wait! I, too, feel like I have awesome parents for letting their daughter study abroad. 🙂 Also, I highly dislike the negative portrayal of Mexico in the media. Seriously, its a beautiful country filled with rich culture and amazing people! Thanks for saying that.

6. lydiamertz

November 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Yeah, the negative portrayal of Mexico gets old. I can’t tell you how excited I am for you to experience this amazing culture….but, be careful, it’s very addicting. 😉
    I posted my email on the other blog post but here it is: mertz08@hotmail.com

Talk soon!