Switzerland is known for its overpriced lifestyle, its neutrality, and the beauty of its panoramic view everywhere you go. On my weekend trip to Switzerland, I thankfully only had to encounter the latter and avoided aiding in the Swiss economy almost entirely. Packing PB&J sandwiches really helps the wallet stay full.

Outlook from the train to Luzern

And traveling in Switzerland does the opposite for your memory card on your camera. There are so many scenic pictures that could be from postcards wherever you look. It’s fascinating to be around such real and untouched beauty; the picturesqueness of the views made me stop and think about how awesome God’s creation is and how much time He must have spent in creating Switzerland because He did it right.

There are all these small little towns enclosed by broad and magnificent mountains; you have the Alps on one side and some more ‘minuscule’ mountains on the other. Just riding around on the train can bring about some amazing pictures. All in all, I traveled to four cities all in the central part of the country: Zurich, Bern, Interlaken, and Luzern. Although all of them had superior scenery in comparison to many other cities that I have traveled to, Luzern was definitely the most beautiful.

Aided by the warm and sunny weather, Luzern was a truly gorgeous town to walk through. Matt and I only spent a few short hours there, but we got to see much of the city. Chapel Bridge was constructed in the first half of the 14th century and is one of the oldest wooden bridges standing. Walking across it allowed us to see paintings up along the rafters showcasing local history. Much of the bridge burned down in 1993, but the rebuilding was quick and allows for visitors to still witness the history of the fortified city. And across the water were the most scenic views of the Alps. Simply breathtaking. Matt and I took picture after picture to try to capture the magnitude of the sight.

The Dying Lion of Luzern

Further along into the city is the Dying Lion of Luzern; it is a carved lion in a piece of rock that portrays the pain and suffering of the massacred Swiss Guard in 1792 during the French Revolution. The emotion is clearly strewn upon the lion’s face making it a very powerful sight to behold. Also in this part of the town are the Nine Towers. These towers are left over from the fortifications of the city which was built in 1386. This remaining history is so important to the city and drives the tourism in the area.

The trip to Luzern would have been enough to satisfy me in visiting Switzerland as a whole. The other areas I went to were beautiful as well, but Luzern was the epitome of perfection. It was the perfect way to end my tour of Switzerland and a perfect way to unwind from the hectic 17 day break before. Luzern is a place that brings you so much closer to your surroundings and to God; it is not a place to miss.