There have not been many challenging activities that I have had to overcome while studying abroad in Germany; I was only really expecting some home sickness and difficulties with relations, but this past week I have pushed my comfort zone to the limit… and then broke right through it. In Budapest, Hungary, we all had the opportunity to go spelunking in one of the caves outside of town. Although I knew this would freak out my senses and challenge my abilities, both mental and physical, I knew I had to take this task on.

Sixteen of us decided to go through these caves with a tour guide. We were split up into two equal groups, and I got to follow Lazlo the cave guide. Right away he told us we were a sporty and “thin” looking group, so we would be going through some of the harder parts of the cave that tourists are allowed in. Consistently he would take us the harder, tighter, and longer ways so we could get the most out of our experience. After 1300 meters of physical work, we all agreed we couldn’t have asked for more.

There were these sections in the cave that you literally had to lie down and army crawl your way through. I have the bruises and scratches on my elbows and knees to prove it. These were all fairly difficult, but my biggest fear was to be wedged in from all sides by the cave. To feel it on each side and then on your stomach and back was not a pleasant image nor a calming one. And just when I thought I was through the worst, there came the Worm.

Me and Matt squeezing through the cave.

The Worm, as they call it, is only a few meters long, but it requires maneuvering one’s body in an angle and contorting limbs to avoid rocks. So much physical energy is needed to make it through in a timely manner ( even though Lazlo slid right through like it was nothing). After making it out, I was so pleased with myself and thankful to be succeeding in something I never deemed possible. The Worm was one of the hardest sections in the cave, and I knew know I could overcome any territory Lazlo would make me enter.

And so he challenged us more. There was a vertical climb we had to make on our sides that was as tightly squished as an overbearing aunt’s embrace. You had to keep your left arm underneath you and push with your right foot. Apparently that is where all your power comes from, but my power, along with others, was also apparently lacking. Almost every single one of us got stuck in this section, but upon escaping this tormenting squeeze, I felt so accomplished. I was laughing when I could hear Jimmy getting his shoulders stuck behind me.

No matter what you think your physical limitations are, there really aren’t any at all. We all are capable of doing the most challenging things if we really try and put our mind to the task. By the end of our 2 and 1/2 hour caving tour, we were all sweating but smiling so broadly. It sounds completely cliche, but this experience proved to myself that I can be unstoppable, but only if I want to be. So I challenge anyone reading to find something that they would not normally do, just to see if it’s possible. With a positive attitude and the support of loving friends, I have no doubt that it will be.

The group of us at the end