Valpo Voyager

Student Stories from Around the World

To the End of One Chapter, and the Beginning of Another

In exactly one week from today, I will be on a plane bound for Chicago. As I type this, I’m really not sure how I’m supposed to feel at this moment. I guess you could classify the feeling as bittersweet. I am so excited and happy to see the family and friends that I have been missing over these past few months, but at the same time, am sad to leave this wonderful country and to no longer be living with the amazing people I’ve had the pleasure of sharing this experience.

C-86 at our first common meal!

Although it is hard for me to admit, I was absolutely terrified to leave  the U.S.A and come to England. As I visited my friends back at Valpo during my last few days in the states, I was having more doubts than ever. Everyone was starting to enjoy their life on campus and get back into the swing of things, while I was about to have to start over in a new country. Could I really do this? Was it the right decision?

Mid-Semester, Before One of Our Nights Out.. What a Fun Group 🙂

The answer to this is yes, absolutely. I had heard it time and time again from everyone else that I knew that had studied abroad: “This will be the time of your life”, “Make the most of it”, and “Do everything you can in the time that you’re given.” I can’t even begin to explain how right they all were. It’s nice to know that I now will be one of those students telling other students to have the same experience, which is what I hope I have done throughout this blog.

Paris.. Definitely my favorite weekend of the trip!

Through this experience I have learned to take advantage of every opportunity life throws at you, no matter how challenging or different it may seem. I have learned to appreciate everything that I have at home in a way that I never knew before. I have learned that no matter where I go or what I do, I can get anything done, as long as I set my mind to it. Everything I have learned while I’ve been here has been completely invaluable, and I could really go on for forever about what this experience has taught me.

Outside the Borghese Gallery in Rome Before Parting Separate Ways in Italy!

The next time I will be writing to you will be from the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, in Valparaiso, Indiana. Just as in the first blog I wrote to you, my life will be completely different, but just as this experience has taught me, I will be able to graciously accept that change and readjust to my life at home.

From Strangers, to Friends, to Family.. I Love C-86!

Thank you to all of my readers this semester, it has been a pleasure sharing this wonderful experience with you!

Signing off from England,

Julie

2 Comments

1. Sounds like you had an amazing semester!!! I’ve enjoyed your pictures and stories…have a great second semester. 🙂

Saludos from Mexico!

2. stop by the office if you get a chance when you’re home – I’d love to hear some stories!