So, my plans have changed. Instead of spending Christmas in Indiana with snow and family, I’m spending the holidays with friends and their charming families here in Mexico. Ok, so I’m not going to sugarcoat things here. When the situation came about that I was going to have to stay in Mexico for Christmas, I was not happy. However, after a good sob and meditation session and some delicious chocolate, I realized that this was an unique experience for me and to just live it up! Here’s part one of the story:

In downtown Puebla…that building never looked better!

This Mexican Christmas begins in the bustling and historical city of Puebla located in the state of Puebla in central Mexico. My friend Cynthia was kind enough to invite me to not only stay with her family during the holidays but also stay in her apartment in Cholula (the city where my university is located at) during the week.

Last week, Cynthia, her boyfriend Martin and I paid 5 pesos each and took the bus to downtown Puebla. When walking through downtown Puebla in the zocalo, you always get this sophisticated feeling. However, with the Christmas decorations, I felt sophisticated and festive. The European inspired buildings were decorated with green and red lights creating a colorful but simple beauty to the Christmas season. The zocalo was filled with families of all ages enjoying the many vendors and the activites surrounded by signs saying “Feliz Navidad” and red poinsettas.

In downtown Oaxaca…don’t you love the poinsettas?

The following week, Cynthia and I took the 6:00 PM bus and after a four-hour trip, we arrived in the capital city of Oaxaca located in the state of Oaxaca. Cynthia lives with her mother and two sisters in a colorful and cute home located close to the center of the city.

During the past few days, we have enjoyed relaxing and seeing the downtown area mostly during the evening. The first thing that struck me about the zocalo in Oaxaca was the tranquility that seemed to surround it. The area is famous for tourists and locals walking around and enjoying the numerous cafes. However, I didn’t feel the stress and burden that normally seems to accompany the Christmas season in the USA. Although materialism strikes every culture during the holiday season, in Mexico, there seems to be less of that here.

Navity scene in downtown Oaxaca

I’m enjoying this simple beauty.

Stay tuned for more of Christmas in Oaxaca…saludos readers!

P.S. I’m trying to reach more out to readers, if you have questions or comments, feel free to email me at lydia.mertz@valpo.edu.