Valpo Voyager

Student Stories from Around the World

Holidays in Mexico Part III: Homeless and No Family but Never Alone!

Another Christmas has passed. The night before on Christmas Eve, we ate at the house of our friend Josue and his family. My, what a delicious meal we had! The combination of family, laughter and warmth made me feel bittersweet about being away from home but happy to be joining together with this lively family as well. Christmas day didn’t go as glorious as I had hoped but was grateful for the quiet time that was spent with Cynthia and her family. We relaxed, ate (more) food and watched about four hours of “Glee” with Cynthia’s sister Rebecca. Relaxing at Cynthia’s house has been a needed break and I’m grateful for her family’s hospitality.

Now, plans have changed-again (I’m finding this to be very consistent here in Mexico). Cynthia and her boyfriend Martin on their way to the beautiful state of Chiapas. Due to financial circumstances (gotta pay the rent!), I wasn’t able to join them and had to plan my next phase of my “Holidays in Mexico” adventure. The past couple of days consisted of me calling, facebooking and texting friends in either the cities of Cholula (my “hometown” here in Mexico) or in Oaxaca (where I’m currently at).

This is where it’s nice to have friends-lots of kind and warm people. I contacted my friend Casandra and asked if I could stay at her place with her family this week. As I sat on the corner in Oaxaca city, I was homeless for about 10 minutes as Cynthia left and I waited for Casandra and her father to pick me up. It was another phase of my vacation about to begin. Driving to Casandra’s house reminded me so much of my beautiful state of Indiana. Yes, you can take the girl out of the country but can never take the country out of the girl!

Josue’s family Christmas tree…I love it!

Entering the house of Casandra, I met her family members. Note: when a Mexican tells you, mi casa es tu casa (my house is your house)-they literally mean it. Her mother introduced herself as “mama” and enforced the idea that this was my house too. For dinner, we ate rice with chicken in red mole sauce that made me so grateful to have a love for Mexican food. The family kept the conversation rolling as they asked me about more places to visit in Oaxaca, my studies, journeys in Mexico, friends, etc. To end the night, Casandra and her sister Natasha and I finished off the night watching TV-believe me, I was in need of a Will Ferrel comedy.

Technically speaking, during this season, I am homeless (as waiting to move into my apartament in January) and without any biological family members (I doubt I will ever find a long-lost Mexican cousin). It’s been weeks living out of a suitcase and in different homes. I love the anticipation of meeting a friend’s family and wondering what delicious food you’re going to eat or what you’re going to discover about their family and culture. Plus, my Spanish improves dramatically when with families.

However, let’s face it-they’re not your family and you’re not in your country. Despite that, it’s really difficult for me to feel alone here. When I walk into a home never visited and told during an introduction, “this is your home too, visit when you like” or a mother tells me, “my daughter, you are always welcome”, it’s a special thing.

Maybe they’re not my parents or brothers or aunts but I can’t help but feel a part of something and it inspires me to be a better daughter, sister, cousin, niece, granddaughter to my family. Call it an act of faith, but the technicalities of being homeless and without family are irrelevant here-because in fact, I am never alone…ever.

1 Comment

1. I know that feeling of never being alone…ever ,in México. It has been one of the most endearing, while at times frustrating, aspects of their culture. I have found it to make me less protective of my own time and space here in the states and it has been good….in the long run.
    Their is an old and funny song about the ¨mañana ¨aspect that Bola Suriana plays.
    Paz y feliz año nuevo, gringa méxicana .