Valpo Voyager

Student Stories from Around the World

Welcome to the World!

Yesterday, on a cold January day in an Indiana hospital, my cousin Nadia was born. Although I haven’t seen her yet, she’s gotta be a beauty. I’m so excited and thrilled at the new life that has been given to our family. Despite the miles that separate my family and me, I still feel a connection to her.

It’s a sad fact but my family has never been that close. However, my experience in Mexico has taught me the importance of family. I remember sitting in my management class last semester and being asked by classmates (except for a girl from Germany, everybody was Mexican) how many times I saw my extended family. I mentioned once a year if lucky. The reaction across the room was a series of gasps. It would be like telling a Mexican that tacos are the crappiest food on the planet and that mariachi should be banned forever.

Granted my family has problems and they are far from perfect but who cares? They’re family. After visiting and staying with the families here in Mexico, I’ve learned the importance of unity among family members. Every time I visit a family in Mexico, it always inspires me to be a better daughter, aunt, cousin, niece, granddaughter and anything else that falls into that category.

I can’t wait meet to meet my beautiful cousin Nadia and see ALL of my family again. It’s painful being away from everybody but I keep them in my heart and think about them often. Mexico teaches the importance of life and to never take it for granted. Despite the hardships, it’s still beautiful and worth living for-especially when there’s new life. Welcome to the world, Nadia.

Saludos

1 Comment

1. Thanks Lydia.Those are truths I really need to hear right now and so true.
    The Méxican heart for family is unbelievably strong and forgiving.