Valpo Voyager

Student Stories from Around the World

It’s hot here.

And it’s wonderful.  Everyone got a little pink/tan this weekend.  It has actually stormed significantly every day since we’ve been here, but at least half the day is usually sunny and warm.

Namibia is still beautiful and Windhoek is just a lovely little city.  When I say little, I just mean smaller than Jo’burg which was HUGE.  There is still quite an expanse to explore here both by foot and taxi.  And of course there’s the rest of the country which I cannot wait to see as well.  Just to give you and understanding, the country of Namibia is twice the size of California but it’s population is only 2 million people.  That’s less people than live in just the city of Los Angeles. It’s even hard for us to wrap our heads around, especially since we’ve just been in one of the only major cities in the country which contains a lot of people.

Our time here hasn’t been quite as packed as South Africa was, which is good, because I don’t think I could keep up much longer with a schedule like that.  Thursday and Friday we did some touring of the city, especially Katatura which remains almost 100% black since apartheid, similar to Soweto. (Namibia was under South African rule until 1990)

Saturday we attended our first soccer game in Africa!  It was the Namibia Women’s National team versus the Angola women.  We met a local student who had been a guide for us around Katatura and walked to the game with him because his sister (who is only 16!) is on the team.  Luckily I grabbed my raincoat before leaving because of course the rain started just in time for the game.  And apparently they play through lightning and thunder here.  There weren’t a ton of people there so we were able to sit under the overhang and keep a little dry.  Despite low attendance, the crowd was still wild and loud and had plenty of vuvuzelas!  The kids at the game were so lively and excited.  The game was pretty exciting, but it ended in a 0-0 tie.

Last night we went out for our first big night on the town to celebrate two birthdays in the group.  We went to the bar up the street and then to a club called Zanzibar.  I think of 20 of us went dancing and we had a great time!

I just keep thinking about how we’ve only been here two weeks and I feel like we’ve done and seen and learned so much and it blows my mind!  This program is definitely what I wanted.  What we’re doing is so beyond just site-seeing and appreciating culture.  We are actually placed into the culture through homestays and are pushed to see the issues in this region through so many different perspectives.  There were definitely other study abroad programs that I would’ve been happy to go on, but I don’t know if they would’ve made me think as much as I have here.  However, if you’re a prospective student, regardless of the program, if you even think you want to study abroad then look into it.  I’m only two weeks in, but I know I’m going to learn way more here than I could ever learn in a classroom.  (Too bad I had to write that french paper on the importance of travel before I came here!)

Tomorrow we start our internships!  I was placed with the Namibia Development Trust which is an NGO that focuses on promoting rural development.  It seems right up my alley. I’m excited and nervous to see what my time there brings and I’m hoping I gain some good experience!

1 Comment

1. I love hearing about your adventures. Keep it up and don’t fry in the heat!
    Love, Kenny