The past 10 days I’ve been with my family on my urban homestay in Windhoek. It was slightly less eventful than the first few action packed weeks, but it was a good time nonetheless!
For the CGE program, homestays are an essential part of our learning process. We did the 2 day one in Soweto, this one for 10 days, and in about 4 weeks we have a 5 day rural stay in a northern village. They serve as a chance for us to be really immersed in culture here. Although, one of the things I’ve learned is that Namibian culture is just as diverse as American; every family has a different story, language, and life. Life in general is similar; my family watched TV to wind down, ate a lot of meat and rice, and everyone enjoys a good party. The struggle is in learning to accept the little things like driving habits, waking up early, and the smell of food.
Some tips for a successful homestay:
-Have a big appetite for dinner or else make sure you serve yourself! The food was good, but it was always more than I was hungry for.
-Be comfortable with using your hands and a spoon to eat! It is actually quite freeing to be able to pick apart your chicken without worrying about what someone will think.
-Accept that there will be times when you will be utterly confused about where you’re going and what is going on. Between the language barrier and spontaneous friend visits, you’ll end up lost at some point.
-Learn to love to watch soccer or get good at faking it. (I certainly didn’t mind!)
-Bake a recipe from home if you’re homesick, but check ingredient availability first.

Sometimes the language and cultural barriers are tough and each experience is unique. Whether good or bad, they are more than worthwhile. Now I’m ready for a week and half of a near normal schedule before we head to the coast!

My host mother, Renathe, and one of my host brothers, Donovan.

And if you want to listen to some popular South African House music, check out Liquideep’s “Alone”!