Valpo Voyager

Student Stories from Around the World

Do we have class today?

Just an update for those who read my last post, my zit problem is getting much better. I found some of my prescription zit cream, and I have declared war on those pesky zits.  I am winning.  I am proud to say that I am now only battling one white capped devil, and it is looking like I am going to come out as victor.  Woot Woot!!

Okay now on to the next post….

My parents keep asking me, “Do the you ever go to class?” The answer is not really.  Here’s our class schedule:

Montag Dienstag Mittwoch Donnerstag
9.15 – 10.45 Deutsch 101/204 Brixner 9.15 – 10.45 Deutsch 101/204 Brixner 9.15 – 10.45 GS 390 Szaniszlo 9.15 – 10.15 MATH 120 Szaniszlo
11.00 – 12.15 Art 311 Springer 11.00 – 12.30 GS 390 Szaniszlo 11.00 – 12.30 MATH 120 Szaniszlo 10.30 – 11.45 Deutsch 101/204 Brixner
————— —————- –Lunch Hour— —————
13.00 – 14.45 Art 311 Springer 13.30 – 15.00MATH 120 Szaniszlo
15.15 – 17.15 Econ 390 Veit 15.15 – 16.15 Econ 390 Veit

Not too bad, right? Remember, this program is geared toward achieving a European experience and traveling on the weekends is highly encouraged.  I may not be learning in a traditional academic setting, but I am definitely getting an education.  Since arriving here in Germany I have visited Stuggart, Zweifalter, Tubingen, Berlin, Hamburg, Bremen, Thuringia, and Saarland. With every trip I have gained valuable lessons.  For instance, what to do if you missed a connecting train because you were busy getting a noodle box.  I have the answer to that! I haven’t had a chance to post much about these experiences, but I will soon!

You might be wondering when I am not playing world traveler, what do I with my time… Learn, of course! Like I said in an earlier post, I am in Frau Brixner’s German 101 class where we learn how to speak German.  “Sehr Gut!”  The director of our program, Professor Szaniszlo teaches German life and Culture, where we learn about Germany’s life and culture, duh.  She also teaches a Math class, which I am not taking, thank God.  I am not much of a math student….

Herr Springer is our Art History Professor, and we are learning about the history of Gothic, Medieval, and Renaissance art.  He has us perform “living paintings” every class period.  Basically, we get into groups and act out a famous painting and he guesses the artist and the name of the painting.  It’s amazing he get’s it right 90% of the time, which is incredible when you look at our acting.

Mary of Egypt Among

Madonna with the Goldfinch

Madonna with the Goldfinch

The Creation of Adam

Er in Arcadia Ego

Amunciation, detail of Fresca

Jake as David

The Last Super

In Herr Veit’s class we learn about the German and European economic system, which sounds really boring, but it is actually quite interesting.  Did you know that Germany is in the top 4 economic nations in the world, and they were the first to emerge from the economic crisis? How you ask? In a nutshell companies shortened the work week from five days to four days instead of laying off employees.  When the German economy began to bounce back the companies simply gave their employees more hours instead of wasting time training new employees.

See mom and dad, I am definitely getting an education here!

1 Comment

1. Don’t you just love studying abroad? Glad you’re having a great experience 🙂