Translation: (more or less…) What to Do and What Not to Do in Paris!

The Eiffel Tower!

DO
Definitely see all the big Paris sites! The Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre, and the Moulin Rouge are easy to see in one day as none of them take a very long time to see the majority of and take lots of lovely pictures! You can walk between most of them or, if you are not much of a walker, the underground is pretty cheap and easy to use.

The Palace of Versailles

DON’T
Don’t pay entrance fees! Seriously. If you are a student or under 26 you can almost always get in to places for free or reduced rates. We got into the Musee d’Orsay for a reduced price and into the Louvre and the Palace of Versailles for free. Plus, there are so many things that are free to everyone including Notre Dame, Sacre Coer, and the Montmatre overlook.

Cutest Village Ever

DO
Take advantage of Paris’ awesome sandwiches and crepes! A sit down meal can easily cost you anywhere from 15 to 100 Euros in Paris if you are not careful. But all through the city are stands and patisseries selling many yummy meals for relatively cheap. Save your money for all of the really cute Paris souvenirs!

The Eiffel Tower sparkling!

DON’T
Don’t waste your money drinking. Well, not at pubs or restaurants. A pint on St. Patrick’s day ran me 7 Euro 50, that’s like 10 US dollars to have a pint of cider. If you still have a hankering, it’s much easier on your budget if you buy from the grocery store. An entire bottle of wine runs for half of what my one pint cost me.

DO
Do take the time to go see Versailles. The Palace is stunning and the Hall of Mirrors is famous! Plus the estate is huge and beautiful. There are lots of buildings to look at, including the cutest village I’ve ever seen. We ended up spending almost an entire day there wondering around the estate. And I bet it is even prettier in spring or summer when they have the fountains running.

DON’T
Don’t miss seeing everything at night! Paris really lights up and looks gorgeous at night. All of the beautiful sights that you go to during the day are worth a see at night. Some of my favorite pictures from the whole trip I took after the sun set.

View from Montmatre at night

DON’T
Don’t overpay. I have one word for you: barter. The souvenirs are much more expensive at stores than they are from the vendors. Although those people selling mini Eiffel Towers are super annoying, something that you may find for 15 Euros in the store they are selling for 7. And it’s not difficult to make them cut that in half. Just say no thank you when they ask for 7 and then they will ask you how much you will pay for it and you can say something ridiculously low like 2 or 3. When they say no, just walk away. They will come after you and sell it to you for what you ask, go you!

Moulin Rouge lit up

DO
Take the chunnel! It is so easy! Plus, if you buy your tickets early you can get them for cheaper than even the cheapest flights to Paris.
Needless to say, I learned all of this on my most recent excursion to the continent. I had a blast and I hope that all of you get the time in your life to say the same! Check out all my pictures here!