So I think when people read about going abroad, everything seems amazing. And believe me it is… but there are some things that can be really frustrating. Here are the things that have been really difficult thus far:

1. LANGUAGE! So I think if you study abroad in a country that has one universal language this might not be as big of an issue. However, in Southern Africa there are numerous languages. In South Africa there are eleven official languages and in Namibia there are nine recognized languages. It has been so difficult to talk to people here because while I know some phrases in certain languages, there is no guarantee that they will understand what I’m saying. Needless to say it has been a huge frustration of mine.

Eating out in Namibia

2. FOOD! Ok so this also might not be something that upsets some people, but I have so many food allergies it is ridiculous! At first, the food here was really good; they made me lots of rice, beans and gluten free pasta. However, that is all that I have eaten now for 2 months. I am so sick of rice and beans I do not think that I can ever eat it again. I think going abroad is hard for people with any type of food restriction. On my trip we have vegetarians, peanut allergies, lactose intolerance, and gluten allergies. I know that each person has experienced aggravation with eating food here. But with all of that aside there is a food here called pap. It is one of the greatest things ever! I think I could eat it every day
  3. AFRICAN TIME! I was raised on the mentality that if you’re early you are on time and if you are on time then you’re late. The  idea of punctuality does not exist here in Africa. The locals have constantly called their concept of time “African time” They  get to places when they get there and they complete tasks when they decide to complete them. It has been something that has  been very difficult for me to adapt to because I am used to being so leisurely with my time. But I think that it is a part of my  lifestyle that I could eventually learn to change. When I was in South Africa, I was walking with one of my host sisters and I  told her that I was not used to walking so slow, because in Chicago it is so fast paced. In response she said to me, “Why would  you want to rush to a destination? The fun part is getting there. The place you’re going to will always be there, so take your time getting there.” I really love that idea, and while this slower paced life has been difficult for me, I can see it being in my future.

Waiting on the bus

1. 4. LIFE BACK IN THE STATES! This has probably been the hardest thing for me to deal with. Being here in Namibia, I have felt torn between two lives, the one here in Windhoek and my life back in the states. It can be really difficult to balance the two of them because you want to experience as much as possible here, but at the same time you want to stay connected with family and friends back home. It has been so hard when family or friends tell me about things going on at home that I want to be there for. Now I know being in Africa is probably a lot cooler than most of the things going on back in the US, but it is still a struggle to find a happy medium between contact with loved ones and truly enjoying your time abroad.

Out with some friends.

Like I said before, I am in love with Namibia and most days I find it hard to imagine leaving this place to go back home. But that doesn’t mean that everything about your abroad experience is going to be perfect. You just have to look at the positives and in my case that means being in the beautiful, warm country of Namibia and getting to see a glimpse into a world outside my own.