Sunrise over the Rhine River

One of my “must do before I die” moments that I have had on my list is seeing the sunrise. I can now check that off because I finally got to see the sun rise. And a gorgeous sunrise it was. After spending the night in a castle in Bacharach, we woke up early to begin our trip down the Rhine River. As we were making our way down the path to the train station, the sun began peeking above the river. Pictures cannot describe how amazing this sunrise was. We followed the Rhine by train and for about an hour just watched the sunrise in between the hills which were covered in vineyards and castles. I could already tell that it was going to be great day.

Marksburg Castle

We continued this theme of castles and vineyards by hiking to Burg Eltz castle. Burg Eltz is nestled in a valley between the hills, so thanks to Google maps, we wondered through vineyards (still don’t know if it was private property) and forests. It’s easy to see where the Grimm brothers got their inspiration when snow began to fall gently dusting the trail. The river was frozen in some areas and there were waterfalls along that trail that had iced over like a winter wonderland. It was hard not to get lost in one’s thoughts and just enjoy being away from the craziness of the cities we had just visited. Even the town where we caught our next train felt like a ghost town, with all the winemakers on holiday during their off season, but there was something peaceful about wandering through the deserted streets.

When we finally circled our way to the train station, we had yet another chance to watch the scenery along the Rhine. We found ourselves at Marksburg Castle and took a tour of the grounds. Afterwards, we roamed through the streets of Braubach while the sun was setting; we made it to a railing that overlooked the entire town, the castle and the Rhine. It only seemed right to end this perfect day with watching the sunset over the Rhine. I can honestly say that this day has been one of the most beautiful days I have experienced.

The Sunset

Check out more of my pictures from my day along the Rhine at

https://plus.google.com/photos/113496106333285759017/albums?banner=pwa