This past week was my second break and what did I decide to do last minute? Yes, go to Ireland.
Ireland was a country that I really wanted to go to this fall, but looking at my budget for the rest of the semester, I wasn’t quite sure if I could squeeze it in.
But it was probably the best last minute decision I have made, and I am SO glad to have done it!

One of our C-90 group members Holly and I decided that we’ll do a random travel – not have anything specific planned but just do what we want to do at that moment.
It was a great plan at the start, but we did realize later that maybe we should have done a little more thinking when we did our hostel bookings…something to keep in mind for future travelers!

Our journey started off early in the morning since we wanted to take the ferry to Ireland. We took trains up to Northern Wales where our ferry port was. We were able to see some great views of Wales on the way! The ferry was very nice too; I wouldn’t mind cruising for a few weeks on this ferry!

After about a 3 hour ride, we arrived in Dublin. Dublin wasn’t a huge interest to either of us, so it was just a stop on the way until we headed for Galway the next morning.

And let me tell you, Galway was absolutely AMAZING. I think that it could be one of my favorite towns that I have been to so far, with Venice and Cambridge as close seconds.
I don’t know exactly what it was about it, maybe it was the Irish spirit, but even just walking around town not doing so much was enjoyable.

Our hostel that we stayed at was very welcoming too. The staff were really friendly and the accommodations were great! We met and chatted with our roommates who were visiting their friend studying in Galway. They were from France!
It gave us a bunch of options that we could look into during our stay in Galway. We decided that on the first night, we would go on the pub crawl, and on the second day take the tour to Cliffs of Moher.

The pub crawl wasn’t necessary as crazy as I thought it might be (but maybe that’s because we weren’t partying with the Irish!), but Holly and I had a great time. We met a group of three, who graduated school recently and were traveling before going into grad school, or into the horrifying “real world”. It was nice talking to Americans and hearing their stories on why they were traveling.
(I don’t know if any of you guys reading this are Glee fans, but one of those guys looked like a brunette version of Cameron Mitchell from the first season of The Glee Project. I am a huge Glee fan, and of course, I was thrilled with that.)
The pub crawl ended at a club, which I was pretty excited about. As I went to the club though, I realized that the music was different from the ones that I have been used to at Cambridge. Cambridge clubs tend to play mostly music similar to what we Americans listens to. There are a couple British songs, but most of them I can recognize. But this club in Galway, had maybe two or three songs that I knew during the hour or so that I was there. We came to the conclusion later that the Irish like American music that was popular in the 80s and 90s. So any Americans travelers around their 40s-50s will probably have a blast at these clubs!

The next morning we went on the tour to Cliffs of Moher with our two French roommates.
The tour guides we had – on the bus and when we went on a little hike – both knew exactly what they were talking about. I love the fact that it is actually fun to learn about the things they were telling us because they have so much passion in their history that they want to share. What I liked about Ireland in general was how much Irish are proud of their culture and history. They want to continue to remember and pass down that history which gives them their identity. And you can really tell how much pride they have. I think that’s what makes the Irish spirit so special.
Our tour headed to Cliffs of Moher with a couple stops on the way, such as the Burrens and a little town called Doolin. But I do have to say that the Cliffs of Moher was my favorite destination out of them all. Although it was absolutely terrifying to stand so close to an edge that was unbelievably high, the beauty was haunting.

There are a few films that have been filmed here too. I’m a huge Harry Potter fan so hearing that a scene in the Half-Blood Prince was filmed here (the part where Harry and Dumbledore go into the cave to destroy the horcrux) got me really excited.
I also watched Leap Year right before going to Ireland, and the proposal scene was filmed here as well. And for those of you Princes Bride fans, this was “The Cliffs of Insanity”!

The tour was about 7 hours and it was a great opportunity for us to be able to see some major sites. It was only about 18 euros (about 23 euros) so I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of going to Ireland. Which I think everyone should do anyway (:

I mean, just look how beautiful it is!

Although we were pretty tired from the tour, it was Halloween so we figured we needed to go out in town this night. We decided to go out with the French roommates and their friend studying in Galway. As we walked into the city centre, all 5 of us were astounded by how CRAZY it was. It was nothing like I’ve seen before! Everywhere I looked there were people dressed in costumes; it seemed like EVERYONE was dressed up!
None of us knew that Halloween was such a significant event in Ireland and we were bummed that none of us had costumes. But it’s the spirit that matters, right?
We had a great night going to a pub and a club (this time with more music that I actually knew!) and met a couple Irish people!
It was definitely a very memorable Halloween.

This Ireland trip feels special to me because of the connections that I made with other people. Since it was only Holly and I traveling together, it might’ve been easier for other people to approach us and for us to join with others. It’s weird to think that I probably won’t see any of the people that I met this past week ever again, but having that experience and time spending together with someone from another country is such a great perk of being abroad.
I think that this was a great experience, and I am definitely convinced that I will be returning to Ireland – hopefully sometime in the near future!