Alumni Guest Blog.

Daniel Jarratt, Valpo alum, studied abroad in Reutlingen, Germany in 2005 (R-75) and writes about how his experience impacted him.  Valpo alumni are invited to email study.abroad@valpo.edu to share their story on how studying abroad impacted their lives.

Studying abroad is — plain and simple — a lot of fun.  How about jumping into thermal baths and caving in Budapest, punting boats on a river through a medieval German town, or summiting the tallest mountain in Wales?

Studying abroad is unique.  Where else can you have an entire castle tower to yourself for a night in a youth hostel?  See the Queen of England from 3 feet away?  Walk through Roman catacombs, part of the tangible history of the early church?

Studying abroad is living history.  Stand where Martin Luther translated the Bible and where Shakespeare was born.  See bombed-out Coventry Cathedral, the home of the Community of the Cross of Nails of which our Chapel of the Resurrection is a part.  If you have ancestors in the area you’re studying, find their old homes and people who share your name.

My co-hort – R-75

I lived in Reutlingen, Germany, for three semesters (spring 2005, fall 2007, spring 2008) on two Valpo overseas programs (including one after graduation), and I did everything above and much, much more.  My time in Germany was, far and away, one of the most meaningful experiences that Valpo provided.

• You can and should finish your degree in four years, except for a small handful of majors which have special arrangements.
  • I was frugal, and you’ll be afforded student rates on almost everything if you head to Europe (or another touristed area).  Studying abroad was a very good value.
  • There is a long history of the Grand Tour, and many of Valpo’s students (and the University itself) are its heirs.  Over the last four centuries of Western higher education, students who wished to further their education traveled extensively specifically to learn about the world beyond their community and nation.  If you have the chance to study abroad during college and you don’t, you’re cheating yourself.

Study abroad is important for many of the same reasons the liberal arts are important.  If you believe that education should be about more than just vocational training (and you’re at Valpo, so I assume you do), studying abroad is a key method of learning the liberal arts.  In fact, it may be the most effective: immersing yourself in a work — a book, a symphony, or a place — outshines lectures by even the best professors.

You (yes, you) should study abroad.  Living in Germany was one of the best decisions of my life, and my only regret is I couldn’t stay longer.  You’ll feel the same way too.

in front of the Brandenburg Gate

Daniel Jarratt, VU’07 with TV/Radio Production and Humanities majors and a German minor.