One of the main reasons I chose to study in Zaragoza was to have the unique opportunity to experience the richness of Spanish culture in the most direct way possible. However, I never in my wildest dreams thought that going to Spain would connect me not just to Spanish culture, but also to the lifestyles and traditions of so many other countries from around the world.

For starters, the class I’m in is made up of (easily) the most diverse group of people I’ve ever had the privilege of being in a classroom with. The nine of us (ten if you count my professor) come from all corners of the globe – Spain, Bosnia, China, Scotland, Gambia, Taiwan, Nigeria, Japan, and the United States. And that’s just within my class… I’ve made friends from other classes at my school from France, Ghana, England, Russia, and Jamaica. Therefore, the discussions that we have had in class about culture have been particularly rich in content. I’ve listened to Bosnian music, have sampled authentic sushi from a Japanese friend who made some especially to pass around at school, and have attempted to learn a few words here and there in French. It’s like an incredible double-shot of culture that couldn’t be more perfect: there’s nothing quite like enjoying a Spanish cup of coffee at a café with a friend from another country, talking about how the culture in Spain is both similar and different to our own lifestyles back home.

The men's handball team from Belarus huddles before their game against Saudi Arabia.

Yet another unique global experience that I’ve cherished immensely happened this past Saturday. My companions from Valpo and I decided to head to the Pabellón Príncipe Felipe (one of the athletic facilities in Zaragoza that was used during the 1992 Barcelona Summer Olympics) to watch the 2013 Men’s World Handball National Championship prelims. We saw three games total: Belarus vs. Saudi Arabia, Poland vs. South Korea, and Serbia vs. Slovenia. First of all, handball is an incredibly brutal sport. These guys have no pads and are ramming into each other and falling on the hard ground constantly – we were amazed by how intense it was! However, I think the best part of the experience was being surrounded by fans from all over the world. There were plenty of Spanish people in the crowd, but along with them were fans from each of the participating countries, decked out from head to toe in their respective colors, chanting and playing instruments and cheering for their home nation. Granted, it wasn’t a multicultural experience where I learned much about the different countries like I’ve been doing at school and through conversations with my friends. However, being (probably) the only Americans in the stadium, surrounded by such a colorful variety of different languages and cultural heritages was both humbling and exciting, and made the experience of watching this sport live so much more enriching.

There are so many little things around the world that don’t change, regardless of cultural norms or language barriers. I think that’s one of the things I’m learning with the most clarity out here, both in my connections to Spain and in my connections to the rest of the world, however tiny they might be. Things like sports, food, family, and a good sense of (culturally respectful!) humor can bring complete strangers together and erase the boundaries that are put up by distance and unfamiliarity. It’s a wonderful surprise to be experiencing so much global culture out here, and is only adding to the appreciation I have each day for the culture and knowledge that I’m acquiring in Spain.