The answer would lye with who you are asking.  If you ask an American, most would probably say peace of course.  However, if you ask about two thirds of the British population, they would probably say shame, much like the man below with his sign.

On Wednesday April 17, there was a procession in London for Margaret Thatcher’s funeral that started at Westminster Abbey and ended at St. Paul’s Cathedral.  When she died last week, there was an uproar in the UK.  What I never realized as a US citizen, was how divided the country became when Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister.  I have learned in my history class here how little people thought of her and how they believed she was the worst thing for this country.  There are many reasons the British feel this way, one having to do with the high unemployment rate when she was in power.  When she died, there was riots and demonstrations in London that went hand in hand with cheers and celebrations.  I actually received an email sent from the government about how US Citizens should be weary going into London from April 13-17 because of all of the demonstrations that were going to be held. There was also a lot of talk about possible bombs going off, which, once the bombing in Boston happened on Tuesday, did not make me feel anymore confident about making the journey to London Wednesday morning.

Though we did make the journey and I am really glad that I went.  Although, as soon as we got off the tube at Temple we were greeted by about eight police officers, one who asked us what we were doing and where we were going.  They knew the controversy and were taking all of the necessary precautions.  All throughout London, there were police heavily armed, especially in the train stations, tube stations and huge public squares like Covent Garden and Piccadilly Circus.  Luckily, we did not see any bombs going off or riots.

It was so interesting seeing so many people lining the streets, waiting for the procession.  There were press everywhere, on balconies and roofs taking pictures and interviewing people in the streets.  Zach, Jess and Nola were even interviewed by different newspapers and our group as a whole are in a picture in The Guardian’s news online (the link is below).

What I would have to say was the craziest part of all was what happened as the casket went by on the street.  We were standing along the second half of the procession, so the casket was being pulled by a horse drawn carriage versus in a car like it was from Westminster to Trafalgar Square.  As she passed by, everyone in the crowd starting cheering and clapping.  Some, not where we were but earlier on, turned their backs on the casket.

Being able to witness this piece of history was incredible.  It is something that will definitely go down in history and something I will be able to tell my children about one day.  So rest in peace, or maybe shame, Margaret Thatcher.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/17/margaret-thatcher-funeral-streets-procession