After the crazy weekend in Paris, we had finals and stuff. By stuff, I mean ‘everyone was frantically

At the pub 🙂

packing and I kinda sat there not knowing what to do.’ This is the part where I was feeling extremely conflicted–because on the one hand, I’m incredibly lucky to be staying here for a full year. I know that, and every chance they got the other seven people who had to leave told me so. They certainly wanted to stay longer. But on the other hand, they got to go home, tell stories, see friends and family, have Christmas with people they knew. So I was both happy and sad. One thing that made it better was the final pub night. We had started the semester with a group pub night, when we barely knew each other, and I guess the program thinks it makes sense to end with one too. It was really weird for me, walking to the Baron of Beef, because the first time we’d all gone out as a group had been so incredibly different. I’d been wondering if I’d even find friends here, about who these people I’d have to live with even were, if we’d get along. Now, walking to the last pub night, I knew exactly who each and every person was, and how we got along, and what they looked like in the morning when they rolled out of bed and stumbled into the kitchen. As corny as it sounds, we’d become a family, and I loved it.

So we hung out at the Baron of Beef for a while, with Matt and his family,

Murphy giving a toast 🙂

and Mike Murphy, our history professor (teacher, right, they don’t let us say ‘professor’ over here as flippantly). Looking back on this night now, I barely remember it, because it passed so quickly. There was laughter, and conversation, and good food and drinks and comfort. We looked classy, we had a lot of fun, and although it wasn’t really discussed, we knew it was the last time we’d be like this. There was a slightly melancholy air, simply a feeling of loss for what was being left behind. One really great thing that came out of it was that we realized Murphy is actually a pretty great guy when he’s not in class, ragging on America. Given, he rags on Britain a fair amount too, but we were slightly more sensitive to the jabs at our country. But in a pub setting, he was hilarious, and a great person to have a conversation with. All in all, it was a great last dinner. Looking back on it right now, writing this, I’m struck with how much I miss my C92. Quick shoutout to you guys. Lisa, Cat, Rachel, Kristine, Jin, Ryan, Grant– you all made my first semester here an incredible one. Not to offend the people in the house now, but you guys will always be my study abroad family. Miss you tons and love you much. Also, please come back 🙂

After the pub night, a bunch of us went out clubbing. This was hilarious for a few reasons, not the least because of the perpetually awful British clubbing music and Cat’s dance battle with some guy. One last time out together, dancing in the ‘American style’ with each other and laughing at what passes for dancing for some *ahem* other people (awkward British dancing, anyone?), and it was amazing. Definitely a night I’ll never forget. It may not have been soaring architecture, or ridiculously old historical sites, but it was a night of memories nonetheless.

With nostalgia, feelings of MISSING YOU GUYS, and much love,

Bryn