This past week, my group and I traveled to the coast of Namibia, Swakopmund, and I completed my third and final home stay. On the coast, we learned about Namibia’s exports and what impact that has on the economy here. It was interesting to  see some of the topics we discuss in class in action and being able to relate that back to development, which is a huge aspect of this program. We were also granted a free day on the coast, which I spent shopping in town and doing a yoga class on the beach. My personal favorite part of the being at the coast, was climbing Dune 7, the oldest and largest dune in the Namib desert. It was exhilarating to climb- considering it was almost at a 90 degree angle- but we all made it up and our reward was the view at the top and the trip down because it felt like we were walking on the moon, or so I’d imagine. Swakopmund all around was a highly enjoyable experience and I look forward to going back for my spring break.

Following the trip to the coast, was my home stay. I stayed with Oma (Grandma) Elizabeth, Rhianna, and her children on their family’s farm. Oma did not speak any English nor did Rhianna’s children, so Rhianna helped translate since I only know basic phrases of Damara. It was an experience that was rewarding and sometimes challenging when considering the language barrier. Still, I was able to participate in daily life on the farm even when it was just Oma and/or the children and I. From collecting wood with Oma to following her instructions on herding goats to playing with the children, it was cool to see how you can still understand one another even without speaking the same language.

One of my favorite things about the farm was the sense of community. Everyone was either related or close friends and all the families were extremely open and welcoming to us. They included us as if we were part of their community. For example, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the members of the farm watch a soap opera or “soapies” as they call them. About twenty people gathered around a small TV that was probably at least 50 years old and fuzzy in order to tune in. People sat close to each other, pulling up chairs, squeezing on the bed, or finding space on the floor. The soapie was comical in and of itself. It was actually a Mexican drama that was dubbed over in English. None of the voices matched the characters and the filming of it was humorus. The story line was pretty good and it was a lot of fun to watch with all the families on the farm.

Even if I went to another family’s home, I was welcomed with open arms. Being part of a community from the moment I stepped foot on the farm made the week very enjoyable. Spending a week there made me a little nervous at first because I was not sure what to expect, but I was sad saying my  farewells and I definitely could have stayed longer if I need to. All in all, it was a very enjoyable week and a great experience trying new things. I was grateful for the program because I know that if I were to ever travel to Namibia on my own, I would never have the same experience. It is something that I will never forget.

Namib Desert

Dune 7

Oma, Rigato, Faith, and me