The weeks are flying by here in Namibia. I cannot believe that this Friday will be my last night here in Windhoek. In the blink of an eye, we wll be boarding a plane and heading to Cape Town, but before that happens, we will be having integrative projects, which is a creative presentation of everything we learned. We make one project that embodies every class we have taken. My group decided to make a children’s book that brushes on Namibia’s history, the role religion played during apartheid/segregation, and the nation’s development. I feel confident that everyone’s project will be unique and I look forward to the presentations.

On Thursday, we will making a Thanksgiving dinner for all the students and staff. It will be the last time we will all be together as a community. In the past, students have enjoyed this event and cooking together all day. We’re making food by the masses and I’m thrilled to have a little taste of home. From what I understand, Thanksgiving at CGE can be a bittersweet event because we say goodbye to most of the staff that night, but it’s good company and delicious food. This year, we decided to make superlatives for all the students and staff to show our appreciation for one another (and for entertainment’s purposes).

Later this week, I’m also going to a farewell party at my internship. The students will be singing Christmas carols in their choir and refreshments will follow. I’ll be sad that day because interning was a wonderful experience. I’ll miss the students I worked with and their lightheartedness. I was guaranteed a laugh everyday I spent there and I became pretty close with a few of the kids. It’s been a lot of fun and they made everyday worth coming in for.

All in all, this week has some bittersweet moments that lie ahead. There will definitely be a lot to miss about being in Windhoek from the people I’ve met to the staff to my afternoons spent interning. Being in Namibia has certainly been rewarding and I will absolutely miss it. On the other hand, I have been very excited to visit Cape Town for some time now. We get the schedule later this week, but I know we have big plans. For now, I will be soaking in my last days in Windhoek and cherishing the opportunities I have taken here.

T
he Namibian sunset

Fun at the BNC (my internship)

Emily and Sarah… my Swedish friends that I met interning