As I near the end of my semester, I realized while writing myinternship report that I had not taken time to reflect on my experiences. Sure I had told the stories, but what have I actually learned through my experiences? So I compiled a list:

Be as curious as a child:

In my daily life, take those new pathways in the city, explore a new park, or try that French restaurant down the road. It seems small, but the little moments can add up quickly. Give into your curiosity and see what’s hiding all around us.

Take a solo trip:

I always thought trips were best in groups, but traveling alone through Europe was a wonderful eye-opening experience. You meet new people, blunder through other foreign languages, visit new places, and discover more about yourself. I noticed that my choice of locations truly showed my inner motivation: nature.

Take time to know yourself:

Don’t stress as much about life, and don’t feel bad about taking small time-outs for yourself. Know your stress levels, figure out what inspires you, and do the things that feel right in your gut. Feel like reading a book instead of going out for one evening? Do it. Buy some wine and macaroons and curl up with that book. If you don’t know or take care of yourself, no one will.

We are all humans:

Yes it is easy to point out differences or make generalizations, but underneath the cultural differences, we are all people. We all have friends, family, job stress, and come with unique life experiences to share. Be open with people, for you can learn a great deal more by acknowledging similarities and listening to their experiences.