As I started to reflect on my past month in China, I started to realize how quickly time flies here. It was both nostalgic and relieving to know that I had “made it.” I was able to survive in China for a month already. Through all the language barriers and cultural differences I am still facing, I feel as though I have somewhat conquered it. Although I still have another 2 1/2 months to go, my confidence has grown while in China. Now, I am
not that ashamed  to speak Chinese to people, afraid that they will hear my American accent.  This short trip, thus far, has taught me that it is okay to mess up. It is okay to pronounce words incorrectly, order the wrong dishes in Chinese and only realize your mistake when the plate of duck head is sitting before you, and it is also okay to tell someone in Chinese “I don’t understand” when you blatantly do not understand. Why? Because that is ultimately how you learn.

This month in China has taught me a lot thus far and I have done so much already. I visited Xian, China’s old ancient capital and was able to bike ride along one of the oldest city walls in China, and visit some really famous warriors as well mmexport1442072702166as travel to Beijing and not only see the notorious Tianmen square but also climb the Great Wall of China, something I had only knew of through elementary school text books. At Zhejiang University, where I currently reside, I have have met alot of people, those of which I would only have had the opportunity to meet, while abroad.  I have met people from all over the world including Mexico, Africa, South Korea, and Europe. Some of which I call friends. 20150910_173901

This short period of time here has really put into perspective what it is like to be an international student in a foreign country. Thus, only increasing my respect for international students on Valpo’s campus, where students do not just stay for one semester, as I am doing here, but for all four years, seemingly away from friends, family and their culture. It did take a while to adjust but when I did everything fell into place. I’m in a country I love, with people I like and going places I could only dream of, all of which I am truly grateful for.

With that being said, I guess I can say “happy one month anniversary” to me and every other student studying abroad. Congratulations we made it!