Seems like it has been a while since I have posted, so I have lots to tell you. I even forgot to add Miami Marketta to my last post, which happened after my pool dive for my scuba certification. So just to prepare you this might be a long post.

So on the Friday, the night after I finished my pool dive I hurried around and met up with a girl named Julie. I met Julie through try and the dive the week before. She asked me if I wanted to go to the Miami Marketta because there was free transportation provided by the Bond Exchange Club. So I said sure, it was a night to get some different food instead of eating on campus. Miami Marketta is in this little Alley way with some shops, live music, and mainly food. I got some nachos and then some gelato after. We left at 5:30 and the bus back wasn’t going to leave until like 8:30. There wasn’t much to do after you have seen a couple of shops that they have, eat, and listen to some music. So we ventured out around the Miami area. There was literally nothing to see. So we just walked and decided to head back a little after 8, so we would be there early for the bus. We got back at 8:10 and the bus was pulling away. We pulled up the Facebook page and the post says “THE BUS IS LEAVING NOW” at 8:10. Not cool. Luckily, when Julie and I were walking around we knew where a bus stop was so we could get back. From there we had to go out of our way to Broadbeach which is north of Bond and Miami is directly east of Bond. We went to Broadbeach station and transferred buses to get back to Bond. Took a little longer than the free transportation would have but hey at least we know how to get around the area.

Miami Marketta 2     Miami Marketta

Miami Marketta

This past weekend I went on a trip to Moreton Island. It was a two day trip. Moreton Island is located east of Brisbane and where I am, Gold Coast is south of Brisbane. Brisbane is about an hour drive away by car and Moreton Island is an hour and a half ferry ride. The company I booked my trip through picked us up at the university and drove us to Brisbane to get on the ferry. I was a little shocked that it was going to take an hour and half, but I guess it would take longer because we were on a ferry. Moreton Island is the third largest sand island with Fraser Island (which is north of Moreton Island) being the biggest. So basically to get around the island you need 4WD if you are wanting to explore different part of the Island. On the bottom of the ferry many people brings cars over with them. Our tour guide already had his car there so we were already set. Apparently the police had been on the island that day so he didn’t want to put too many people in the sunrover so another girl and I just walked the beach to meet up with them. So we just met him somewhere so he could pick us up to take us to the desert to go sandboarding. Honestly, I was happy walking the beach because we saw so many starfish and it was just gorgeous walking on the beach.  Moreton 3

Moreton 2  Moreton 1

West Side of Moreton Island

So we got picked up and started driving to the desert. Let me tell you, if you get motion sickness easily, walking may be better for you. The car rides can be rough because you are just driving on sand. If you are driving along the water you’ll be fine but in the middle of the island with the hilly trails and stuff it can be rocky, so if you get car sick easily SIT IN THE FRONT.

Sandboarding was fun! It was scary a bit the first time because I didn’t know what to expect. The second time was definitely more enjoyable. You have to make sure you keep your feet up in the back and your board up with your hands. If you don’t hold your board of up with your hand you will most likely get a lot more sand in your face than you are already going to get (close your mouth lol). The worst part is hiking up that dune. My calves killed! I got a good workout that weekend from just walking in sand all the time.

https://instagram.com/p/8sf0oflN53/?taken-by=lilemmy7

Next we drove on back to the west side of the island to go snorkeling around some sunken ships. But wait, hold up we got stuck first because a bus got stuck in the sand. Busses should not be allowed. Well and other cars get stuck too, but fortunately our tour guide was a really good driver. We ate our lunch because we didn’t know how long it would take but luckily it only ended up being ten minutes. Back to snorkeling… It was really cool to snorkel because coral had grown on the ships. There were lots of groups and groups of fish. I guess some people saw a couple smaller sharks, but I didn’t see any. They like to camouflage themselves into and under the ships. A couple girls said they saw one swim right under them. The water was so clear, a tad chilly, but it was still a gorgeous day out.

ships

After snorkeling we went to our campsite, where there were tents set up and a place to eat. It was really a nice set up. We just relaxed for bit on the beach which was right out of our campsite. We got to watch the sunset, which was beautiful. We then ate some burgers and went back to the beach after to look at the stars. There were so many, it was ridiculous how man you could see. After gazing at the stars we headed back to a camp fire where our tour guide, Rhett played some songs on the guitar. We were all pretty beat from the day so we went to bed early. Oh and I almost forgot to mention at night we saw some pretty big spiders. The big spiders do really exist here in Australia. BEWARE!

Sunset     Sunset group pic

The beach outside our campsite.

After sleeping in our tents for a night we got up and ate some breakfast. I had peanut butter with my toast and had a couple of oranges. I get happy when they have peanut butter! After breakfast half of us headed to Mount Tempest. The second group would come later. They past us on the trail as they were coming up and we were going down. The trail was pretty tough. Luckily we didn’t take the two and a half hour route we just took the forty minute one. Walking up sand is pretty hard as you can imagine so we all just kind of booked up the hill, taking a few small breaks. The top was gorgeous, you could see from all directions on the island.

mount temp

Mount temp 2 Mount Tempest

Next we went to Blue Lagoon which was a fresh water lake on the island. Is was quiet. A few people ended up coming later but it was nice to hang out there for a bit. We then grabbed some lunch at another campground site that our tour guide company uses. We had a few last stops on our trip. We checked out the lighthouse area and then hiked around Honeymoon Bay which were both cool places. We took the afternoon ferry home and I was pretty exhausted just from those two days. I really had a great time and I am glad I had the opportunity to go to Moreton Island. Also, I didn’t know anyone on the trip and still really enjoyed it. For future study abroad students I strongly recommend going on a trip where you don’t know anyone, at least one. It makes the experience just that much better.

blue lagoon     blue lagoon 2     lighthouse

lighthouse 2

honeymoon3     honey

honey 2     moreton22

Next week begins Week 6 of classes. Which means I am half way down with classes. That is crazy to think but most of my assignments are starting to hit in the middle of the semester and towards the end. In just a couple days I’ll be home two months from now. Well I better go now. I got to rest up for surfing tomorrow at Bryon Bay. Can’t wait to tell you about it in my next post.

Stay tuned!

Love,

Emily