Author: Caroline Dienes

Program: Cambridge, England – Study Center

Sometimes, learning does not come from in the classroom. Studying abroad has taught me that learning can come from anywhere and anything, whether it is in the process of traveling, going to view a play, or simply people watching while sitting at a coffee shop. Another member of the Cambridge cohort, Alec Chase, and I made a lone journey to Ireland a few weeks back and we collected quite a few lessons along the way, none of which we could have ever learned in a classroom.

unnamed-1

Cliffs of Moher, Caroline Dienes

Our first learning experience occurred at the Cliffs of Moher. The beginning and the middle of the day went absolutely perfect. The weather was beautiful (sometimes you can’t even see the cliffs because it is too foggy!), and I was able to hike on rugged terrain (one of my all-time favorite things to do). Alec and I also snapped some unbelievable pictures of one another, which people think we created on photoshop. However, this flawless day started to get a few blemishes from our decision to “wing it”.

Don’t ever “wing it” when it comes to traveling. Before we even went to the Cliffs of Moher, our Airbnb host asked us, “When are you guys getting back?” Our collective response was, “We’ll wing it.” After walking to both ends of the Cliffs of Moher, we decided to figure out what bus we could catch to get back to our Airbnb. The last bus was at 5:30pm. We figured out this vital information at 6:45pm. To make a very long story short, we ended up walking about a mile down a dark road toward a tiny town (both of our phones had died at this point) until we finally stopped at a random house and asked if they could call us a taxi. Lesson one: You may want to wing it, but never wing it when it comes to how you will get home from somewhere.

Now, we were told by several people to prepare ourselves to be approached by Irish people at pubs because they are apparently super friendly. On the final night in Ireland, Alec and I were slowly giving up on this foreboding because we sat in a pub for about five hours, and we were not approached by anyone. Then, I got up to pay the bill and the trip to Ireland was changed for the better.

There I was, standing at the bar minding my own business, when an elderly gentleman looks at me, starts singing “Do Wah Diddy Diddy,” grabs my hand, and starts dancing with me. To make another long story short, Alec and I ended up at a different pub with Sean and Jerry (the dancing man and his friend). We listened to them sing Irish pub songs while being accompanied by literally everyone else at the pubs. We learned that everyone at this specific pub basically knew every other person there, and we were definitely shown that the Irish are the most friendly people out there. We also got some life-changing advice from our new friend, Sean.

As the night progressed, Sean unleashed his hidden power of guidance giving onto us. He said, “Classes with professors and exams isn’t university. This (gestures toward entire pub) is university.” It may sound like a simple saying that any old, slightly intoxicated, man would blurt out at you, but it really hit me at my core. People keep asking me, “Are you even going to class when you’re abroad? Are you learning anything?” I am going to class here. I’m taking notes, and exams are just around the corner. On the other hand, going out to witness the pub culture, exploring places you have never been before, meeting people you would have never had the chance to meet if you were to be back at Valpo, and being completely on your own is what I think studying abroad is all about. Sean was right. This… this is university.

Stay Fresh,

Caroline Dienes