Author: Keith Nagel
Location: Windhoek, Namibia

Mark Twain once wrote, “Mauritius was made first, and then heaven; and that heaven was copied after Mauritius”. The small island country of Mauritius is located in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Madagascar. Although it is technically located in Southern Africa, you would never know it. The country is a lush oasis of mountains, white beaches, and crystal blue water. The population was predominately of Indian decent from indentured labor under British rule, a realization that comes quickly as you drive past hindu temples in the hustle and bustle of the country’s roads. Mauritius is also the endemic home of the infamous Dodo bird, that would later be popularized by Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. It was such a departure from where I was studying in Namibia that I thought it would make the perfect place to spend my fall break.

I traveled with two of my study abroad friends to the island to find what I would argue is the closest thing to jurassic park in the world. The following week would prove to be one of the best weeks of my life, with plenty of adventures I will never forget. We took our incredibly slow tin can of a rental car all around the island. These little road trips were filled with amazing beaches, towering waterfalls, and bustling city centers. After a few difficult days laying on the beach and sipping on coconut water I thought I might have a go at some island fun. The next morning at dawn I embarked on a deep sea fishing expedition in rough seas. I came away with a couple small tuna but who knows, maybe next time I’ll catch the big one. My favorite memory of the whole trip was swimming among dolphins in the wild. To see these amazing creatures move, talk, and play was something that not even the Planet Earth series can fully capture. Although I may never make it back to this tiny volcanic island on the other side of the world, I will forever treasure the memories and place that is Mauritius.