I know, I’ve already talked about London once before. However, I went back this weekend and it is safe to say that like the title says, London has completely stolen my heart. To anyone thinking about studying abroad I’m talking to you: I strongly advise you to do it. I have only been here 3 weeks and I still have over 4 months, but I can say with certainty that these three weeks have been some of the best days of my life. So, just DO IT. You won’t ever regret it. Ok, now that I’m off my soap box, back to London.

Picadilly Circus

I went to London this weekend primarily to see the Harry Potter Studio Tour and it was, of course, incredible (and I strongly suggest that if you are ever in London, that you go to it.) But, that’s not what I want to talk about. After the tour, Jess and I decided that since we were already in London, and we had much of the day left, we would make a day of it see what London had to offer. It did not disappoint. We went to the Covent Gardens to look around (and no, there are no gardens, as Jess was disappointed to find out.) Covent Gardens is essentially a huge market place. There are layers and layers of outdoor and indoor market areas, shops, chain stores, cafes, restaurants, and pubs, and just when you think you’re finished, another layer pops up at you. It was so alive with people and street performers, you couldn’t help but get caught up in the happiness of it. I so enjoyed myself. We watched street performers dance to the YMCA with faces of famous people and saw a mime dressed up as an American soldier. We also listened to an opera singer perform. We walked through what was essentially, a huge flea market, as well. After the Covent Gardens, Jess and I found ourselves just wandering the city. I was completely in awe of the beauty and for lack of a better word, hugeness of it all. There was always another corner to turn and another street to walk. Always another beautiful building or monument to admire. It was dark out as well, so all the lights of the city were just beautiful. We just walked around and took everything in. It’ so easy to get caught up in everything around you. I could have walked forever, I was so enthralled with it all. At one point though, we realized we had no idea where we were, and it was a nervous 5 minutes for us until we got our bearings and realized we were just a block away from Trafalgar Square. And let me tell you, Trafalgar Square at night, is just gorgeous. It has fountains that light up different colors and the light from the fountains lit up the Trafalgar Monument in the middle of the Square. We walked around the Square and down Parliament Street past the Horses Guard, past the Prime Minister’s house, past Old Scotland Yard, toward Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, and Westminster Abbey. I am so blessed that I have the opportunity to see all of these things, not just once, but twice.

Covent Gardens!

Along the way we stopped at a pub called The Red Lion, where Charles Dickens got famously drunk at and we had some dinner. We ate a traditional dinner of fish and chips (the best fish and chips I’ve ever had, I might add) and took everything in. We said hi to Big Ben, and it was truly a spectacular sight at night. The clock was lit up and so beautiful against the night sky. The vastness of it never fails to impress me. I will never get tired of seeing Big Ben. We ended our night with a two hour Jack the Ripper walking tour, which was very interesting to say the very least. All in all, it was a marvelous day, and I cannot wait to go back to my favorite city in the world. London, England.
With love,
Abby