Living in the Ctre, we are on our own for all of our meals except for our Wednesday night common meal.  Eating peanut butter and Nutella is delicious, but does get old pretty quickly, especially when that’s our go to food for weekend trips. So lately, I have been experimenting with new recipes to try out.

This weekend we did a few day trips around England, but we mostly stayed in Cambridge, so it was a great weekend to try out some new ideas.  On Sunday I decided to season and bake a chicken breast, season some mushrooms, and when the chicken was done, cover it in mushrooms and shredded cheese, and put it back in the oven, just long enough to melt the cheese.  Meanwhile, I also made fettuccini noodles and put them in a pan with oil, garlic, mushrooms, cheddar and parmesan cheeses.  Once everything was completed, I took a bite into a meal that made me more proud of myself than I have ever been.

Being on your own really forces you to learn how to fend for yourself.  You have to go shopping to get the ingredients you need and make sure you always have food, but keeping in mind that unlike back home, food goes bad much more quickly here.  They do not use as many preservatives in their foods like we do so we end up going grocery shopping more or less every week.

Luckily for us, we have a variety of places we can shop at.  We can go to Aldi, Tesco which is the equivalent to Walmart at home, Sansbury which is like any other grocery store, and the market.  The market has all kinds of different fruits, vegetables and breads.  Another great meal that I have discovered and am in love with is getting ciabatta bread from the market, then putting fresh mozzarella cheese, pesto, tomatoes and avocados.  It is an amazingly delicious sandwich that is pretty healthy as well.

Its fun to learn to make new recipes from online and from other people in the house.  Though we all came from Valpo, we all have different techniques and ways we learned to cook certain foods, and some of us, didn’t even know how to cook at all before we came, so being here and having to was really a huge change.  Of course a few of us knew that Mac n’ Cheese wasn’t available and brought it with us for an quick and easy dinner, a couple boxes and Kraft doesn’t last long.  Living in the Centre has been a great transition to get me ready to live on my own next year and now I have a new great new recipes to bring back to the States with me in three months.